Careers in Agriculture, Environment, and Nutrition Sciences
Did you know that by 2050, the world’s population will increase 34 percent, reaching 9.1 billion people? In order to feed the world’s booming population, food production will need to increase by an estimated 70 percent!
Did you know that by 2050, the world’s population will increase 34 percent, reaching 9.1 billion people? In order to feed the world’s booming population, food production will need to increase by an estimated 70 percent! That means jobs in agriculture, environment and nutrition science will be booming too! Tuskegee University’s College of Agriculture, Environment and Nutrition Sciences shares five exciting up-and-coming majors:
- Animal and Veterinary Sciences: Increased need for food means an increased need for animal protein. Advances in animal nutrition, genomics, breeding and veterinary medicine will be crucial to increasing food production.
- Agribusiness: Promising efforts in this field aim to determine how to most efficiently invest in agriculture, create ways to reduce food waste and spoilage, and work to direct public investment in food production and distribution.
- Plant and Soil Sciences: Research and work with the goal of increasing food production without harming the planet further with unnecessary chemicals, soil rotation, and improvements in seeds that make them require less water are a few examples of exciting work in this major.
- Environmental Sciences: Along with the increase in food needed to feed more than 9 billion people comes concerns about the resulting environmental impact. The need for minds in the field of environmental science will be an important part of the puzzle as we work to increase food production while keeping our planet healthy.
- Food and Nutrition Sciences: Work in the fields of nutrition deficiencies, innovative food formulations, advancements in food processing technologies and food safety will be increasingly in-demand as we look to provide food for an increasing world population.
The College of Agriculture, Environment and Nutrition Sciences (CAENS) at Tuskegee University is designed to prepare future leaders in areas of agriculture sciences, food and nutritional sciences, veterinary medicine, environmental policy and more. For more information visit www.tuskegee.edu/programs-courses-colleges-schools/caens.